Universidad Autónoma de San Luis Potosí
The Autonomous University of San Luis Potosi (UASLP) is one of the leading higher education institutions in the state of San Luis Potosí and one of the finest public education institution in the country. Its leadership is a result of the wide range of educational, student sector care , national and international relevance of their research, training quality professionals with social relevance and their curricula in line with the demands of a changing society
Since its founding, the UASLP has fostered a culture of quality that has led to significant achievement and recognition has generated a legitimate national strengths have been enhanced in an environment of stable and harmonious labor, which allows to develop new ideas and resolve natural differences in an organization as diverse as the university.
It was founded as a Jesuit college in 1624 to teach literacy, secondary and high school studies. In 1625 governor Ildefonso Díaz de León was directly involved in the creation of the Colegio Guadalupano Josefino. Opening on 2 June 1626, the college initially included academic programs in Humanities, Philosophy, Theology and Law. A Medicineprogram was added six years later. The first rector was Manuel María de Gorriño y Arduengo. Unfortunately, teachers were not always available and due to political and civil unrest there were times, especially in the 19th century, the college had to suspend classes on a temporary basis. Also, in 1855 the Medicine program was closed. UASLP was the first university in Mexico to have autonomy constitutionally granted. In 1923 UASLP was the first university in Mexico to constitutionally achieve the status of autonomous.
During the Mexican Revolution, when some properties of the Roman Catholic Church were seized, the main college buildings (including the library and the astronomical observatory) were confiscated from the Church. However, the college continued working although only the Instituto Científico y Literario was able to grant degrees.
On 10 January 1923, governor Rafael Nieto issued Decree No. 106, which established the University of San Luis Potosí. The academic structure of the new institution included the faculties of Medicine, Law, Chemistry and Business. It also included the Civil Hospital, the San Luis Potosí Public Library, the State Meteorological Observatory, and the normal school for training teachers. The 1923 Decree granted autonomy to the University.
More recently, in 1949, the Decree Number 53, under Article 100 the Political Constitution of the State of San Luis Potosí, changed the name of the institution into its current one of Autonomous University of San Luis Potosí.
UASLP is organized in faculties, schools, coordinations, academic units and departments; it is divided into 12 faculties, 2 schools, 2 coordinations, 2 departments and 2 academic units for different and specific areas. Both undergraduate and graduate studies are available on each faculty. To date, UASLP has a student population of more than 32,000 people, and offers 73 undergraduate programs.
For further information please visit: http://www.uaslp.mx/spanish